Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
- 1.3 The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
- 1.4 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.5 The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
- 1.6 The Wizard of Oz play, Salem, Oregon
- 1.7 The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection exhibit, Davenport, Iowa
- 1.8 The Wiz play, Ashland, Oregon
- 2 August 2016
- 3 September 2016
- 4 October 2016
- 5 November/December 2016
- 6 December 2016
- 7 April 2017
- 8 May 2017
- 9 June 2017
- 10 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Another British company is opening in Bradford for a run at The Alhambra Theatre July 20-August 21. See http://www.bradford-theatres.co.uk/whats-on/wicked for details. Word on the street is that this show will then head out on the second Asian tour.
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news.
- Wicked: A História Não Contada Das Bruxas de Oz recently opened at the Teatro Renault in São Paulo, Brazil, making it the first production in Portuguese and in South America. For more information, see http://wickedomusical.com.br/ (site is in Portuguese).
- A revival of the Japanese production is currently running at the Hokkaido Shiki Theatre in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for details (site is in Japanese).
- A revival of the Korean production is currently running through August 28 in Seoul. For details, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.kr/ (site is in Korean).
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- August 17-September 4, 2016: Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio
- September 7-18, 2016: Morris Performing Arts Center, South Bend, Indiana
- September 21-October 8, 2016: Providence Performing Arts Center, Providence, Rhode Island
- October 12-23, 2016: Century II Performing Arts Center, Wichita, Kansas
- October 26-November 6, 2016: Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, Illinois
- November 9-27, 2016: Wharton Center for the Performing Arts at Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- November 30-December 11, 2016: Oakdale Theatre, Wallingford, Connecticut
- December 14, 2016-January 8, 2017: The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC
- January 11-29, 2017: Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, Florida
- February 1-26, 2017: Straz Center, Tampa, Florida
- March 1-12, 2017: Proctors, Schenectady, New York
- March 29-April 9, 2017: Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, New York
- April 12-May 14, 2017: Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- May 17-June 4, 2017: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- June 7-July 23, 2017: Boston Opera House, Boston, Massachusetts
- July 26-August 27, 2017: Academy of Music, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- August 30-September 10, 2017: Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, Appleton, Wisconsin
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- (No showings scheduled.)
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
The Wizard of Oz play, Salem, Oregon
Now through August 28, 2016: The Wizard of Oz play, The Historic Grand Theater, Salem, Oregon. The stage adaptation of the famous movie musical version of the story comes to the Oregon capital. Presented by Enlightened Theatrics, matinée performances during the run are at 2:00 pm, and evening performances at 7:30 pm. For more information or to buy tickets, see the show's website at http://enlightenedtheatrics.org/current-season/. (If you're already going to be in town for OzCon and plan to stay a few extra days, this might be an event for you!)
The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection exhibit, Davenport, Iowa
Now through September 25, 2016: The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection museum exhibit, Katz Gallery, Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa. One of the largest and most extensive collections of Wizard of Oz memorabilia will get an outing this summer for folks in Iowa to see. For more information, see this article. The museum's website is at http://figgeartmuseum.org/.
The Wiz play, Ashland, Oregon
Now through October 15, 2016: The Wiz play, Allen Elizabethan Theater, Ashland, Oregon. As part of this year's Oregon Shakespeare Festival, The Wiz will be performed in rep, with performances throughout the season. For more information, including dates, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at https://www.osfashland.org/productions/2016-plays/the-wiz.aspx.
A Day in Oz festival, Clarksville, Missouri
August 27, 2016: A Day in Oz festival, Clarksville, Missouri. This small town on the Mississippi River had so much fun last year, they w ant to do it even bigger and better this year. New for 2016 is an attempt to break the Guinness world record for most people dressed in Oz costumes. For more details, keep an eye on the event's website or it's Facebook page.
Midwest Oz Fest 2016, Tinley Park, Illinois
September 9-11, 2016: Midwest Oz Fest 2016, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September 9-11, 2016: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/#!autumnatoz/c1ox4. Tickets may be purchased at https://autumnatoz.ticketssoeasy.com/index.cfm?include=eventsprofileoutput&eid=2842 (if they're not already sold out).
Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz musical, East Haddam, Connecticut
September 16-November 27, 2016: Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz musical, Goodspeed Opera House, East Haddam, Connecticut. This new show, which eventually hopes to hit Broadway, tells the story of young Frances "Baby" Gumm's rise to stardom, including a name change to Judy Garland. The show culminates in her playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. For further information, keep your eye on the theater's website at http://goodspeed.org/2016-season.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October 1, 2016: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October 8, 2016: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
The Wizard of Oz movie, Edmonds, Washington
October 15, 2016: The Wizard of Oz dementia-inclusive screening, Edmond Center for the Arts, Edmonds, Washington. As part of its second annual series of events for those suffering from dementia and other cognitive loss issues, and their families and other caregivers, Edmonds Center for the Arts is screening the famous 1939 film version of The Wizard of Oz at a matinée screening on October 15. Tickets are $10 or $2, and the Barclay Shelton Dance Centre will provide pre-show entertainment. For more information, see the website at http://www.edmondscenterforthearts.org/index or contact the Director of Programming, Gillian Jones, at email@example.com.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back as the season gets closer..
The Wizard of Oz play, Portland, Oregon
December 3, 2016-January 2, 2017: The Wizard of Oz play, Northwest Neighborhood Cultural Center, Portland, Oregon. The Northwest Children's Theater and School present the Royal Shakespeare Company's stage adaptation of the famous film version of The Wizard of Oz. For showtimes, tickets, and other details, see the show's website at http://nwcts.org/content/wizard-oz.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April (exact date to be announced), 2017: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May (exact dates to be announced), 2017: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (exact dates to be announced), 2017: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June (dates to be announced), 2017: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town becomes the latest city to hold a Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
OzCon International, Portland, Oregon
June 30-July 2, 2017: OzCon International 2017: The 53rd Annual Winkie Convention, Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, Portland, Oregon. The world's longest-running Wizard of Oz convention comes to the Rose City again, bringing in Oz fans from all over the world. The theme book is The Lost Princess of Oz, and other books celebrating anniversaries this year have nomes, so Ozma and nomes will be celebrated. And the major Saturday evening show will be a recreation of the 1933-34 Wizard of Oz radio show. So make plans now and keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/events/161861314230831/ for more information.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available!