Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
Going on now
The Wizard of Oz play, North American tour
On tour: Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz play, throughout North America. It was a hit in London, it was a hit in Toronto, and now it's touring North America, with Over the Rainbow winner and Toronto Dorothy Danielle Wade starring. The following tour dates and stops have been announced:
- Now through December 29, 2013: The Ordway, St. Paul, Minnesota
- December 31, 2013-January 5, 2014: The Peace Center, Greenville, South Carolina
- January 7-19, 2014: Broward Performing Art Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- January 21-26, 2014: Barbara B. Mann PAH, Fort Myers, Florida
- February 4-9, 2014: ASU Gammage, Tempe, Arizona
- February 11-23, 2014: Segerstrom Center, Costa Mesa, California
- February 25-March 2, 2014: Centennial Hall, Tucson, Arizona
- March 4-16, 2014: Hobby Center, Houston, Texas
- March 18-30, 2013: Music Hall at Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
- April 1-6, 2014: Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- April 8-13, 2014: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, North Carolina
- April 15-20, 2014: Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, Florida
- April 22-27, 2014: Devos Hall, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- April 30-May 11, 2014: Cadillac Palace Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
- May 13-18, 2014: Fabulous Fox Theatre, St. Louis, Missouri
- May 28-June 1, 2014: Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, Maryland
- June 3-8, 2014: The Academy of Music, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- June 10-15, 2014: Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, Missouri
Further tour stops are expected to be announced later. For full details on the tour and to buy tickets, see http://www.wizardofozthemusical.com/tickets-worldwide/. For more information about the show, see http://www.wizardofozthemusical.com/.
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- A British Isles touring production is now making the rounds, with the following dates and cities announced:
- Now through January 18, 2014: Dublin, Ireland
- February 4-March 8, 2014: Milton Keynes, England
- March 12-April 26, 2014: Cardiff, Wales
- May 6-31, 2014: Glasgow, Scotland
- June 10-July 5, 2014: Leeds, England
- July 9-September 6, 2014: Birmingham, England
- (The tour's website is at http://www.wickedtour.co.uk/.)
- The Japanese production of Wicked has returned to Tokyo, at the Dentsu-Shiki Theatre. See http://wicked.jp/index.html for details.
- Wicked will play in Manila January 22 to February 23, 2014, possibly a stop on the Australian company's tour of southeast Asia. For more information or to book tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com.ph/index.html.
- Wicked will be returning soon to Australia, now that it's wrapped up its run in Auckland, New Zealand. It will reopen in Melbourne on May 10, 2014, to be followed by a new Australian tour, with the next stops in Sydney and Brisbane. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for details and tickets.
- Wicked: El Musical is now playing at the Teatro Telcel in Mexico City. For more information or tickets, see the show's website at http://wickedelmusical.com.mx/.
- Wicked is also now open in Seoul, South Korea. See http://www.wickedthemusical.co.kr/ for information and tickets.
- The South American premiere of Wicked looks like it will be in São Paulo, Brazil in 2015.
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/#WickedCitiesOnTour or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through December 21, 2013: Oriental Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
- Now through January 5, 2014: State Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio
- December 26, 2013-January 12, 2014: Providence Performing Arts Center, Providence, Rhode Island
- January 8-26, 2014: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- January 15-February 9, 2014: Benedum Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- January 29-February 16, 2014: Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, Tennessee
- February 12-March 2, 2014: Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, Appleton, Wisconsin
- February 19-March 9, 2014: Bass Hall, Austin, Texas
- March 5-23, 2014: Aronoff Center for the Arts, Cincinnati, Ohio
- March 12-30, 2014: Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- March 26-April 20, 2014: Tennessee Performing Arts Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 2-13, 2014: Saroyan Theatre, Fresno, California
- April 15-May 4, 2014: Morrison Center, Boise, Idaho
- April 23-May 4, 2014: Landmark Theater, Richmond, Virginia
- May 7-25, 2014: Orpheum Theater, Omaha, Nebraska
- May 7-25, 2014: INB Performing Arts Center, Spokane, Washington
- May 28-June 15: Community Center Theatre, Sacramento, California
- June 18-July 6, 2014: Chapman Music Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- July 6-August 24, 2014: Capitol Theatre, Salt Lake City, Utah
- August 27-September 14, 2014: San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, San Jose, California
- September 17-October 5, 2014: Popejoy Hall, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oz the Great and Powerful movie national cablecast
Now playing: Oz the Great and Powerful movie, national cablecast, Starz, Starz HD, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids & Family channels. Now that it's had a good run in theaters and been released on home video, it's time to watch the latest Oz movie on premium cable! Oz the Great and Powerful has the following showtimes scheduled:
- December 12: 12:45 a.m., Starz Kids & Family
- December 15: 8:50 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., Starz Kids & Family
- December 16: 2:55 a.m., Starz Kids & Family
- December 20: 9:00 p.m., Starz
- December 21: 9:05 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Starz
- December 23: 3:40 p.m. and 11:20 p.m., Starz Kids & Family
- December 24: 9:45 a.m., Starz Kids & Family
- December 25: 6:45 p.m., Starz
- December 26: 12:00 noon, Starz
- December 29: 1:35 p.m., Starz Edge
- December 30: Starz Edge, 9:00 a.m.
- January 1: Starz Kids & Family, 10:00 a.m. and 5:45 p.m.
- January 2: Starz Kids & Family, 1:10 a.m.
- January 6: Starz Edge, 12:05 a.m., 10:20 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.
- January 9: Starz Edge, 7:20 a.m., 3:15 p.m., and 10:45 p.m.
- January 12: Starz Kids & Family, 2:25 a.m., 10:20 a.m., and 8:00 p.m.
The movie is also available on Starz On Demand through December 26, and on Starz Play. For more information and possible future showtimes, see the movie's Starz web page at http://www.starz.com/titles/ozthegreatandpowerful. Check your local listings for exact times and channels in your area.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- December 11, 9:00 a.m.
- December 15, 10:00 a.m.
- December 24, 6:00 a.m.
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
"Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, on the Internet
Now playing: "Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, hulu.com. Episodes of the classic series Fame are now available to watch on the Internet, including this Oz-themed episode. Doris, after finding out that she's not eligible to be in the next show, conks herself on the head and dreams that the School for the Arts has been transformed into Oz, with all of her friends and teachers playing its citizens. To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/151850/fame-not-in-kansas-anymore.
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
The Wizard of Oz play, Edmonds, Washington
Now through December 15, 2013: The Wizard of Oz play, Edmonds, Washington. The Driftwood Players present the Royal Shakespeare Company's adaptation of the famous film version of The Wizard of Oz. For more information or to order tickets, see the show's website at http://www.driftwoodplayers.com/#!the-wizard-of-oz/ch5h.
The Wizard of Oz play, Nappanee, Indiana
Now through December 31, 2013: The Wizard of Oz play, Round Barn Theatre, Amish Acres, Nappanee, Indiana. As part of its 2013 season, the theatre presents the stage adaptation of the famous movie version. For more information or to purchase tickets, see the show's website.
The ABC of It exhibit, New York City, New York
Now through March 23, 2014: The ABC of It: Why Children's Books Matter, Gottesman Exhibition Hall, Stephan A. Schwarzman Building, New York Public Library, New York City, New York. The New York Public Library system trolled its holdings and archives for items that examine why children's books are so important and influential on our lives. Among the items on display are the original Winnie the Pooh and his friends, P. L. Travers' parrot-headed umbrella and the doll that inspired her to create Mary Poppins, and three of W. W. Denslow's original drawings for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. For more information, including hours and directions, see the exhibit's website.
The Wonderful World of Oz exhibition, Rockland, Maine
Now through March 30, 2014: The Wonderful World of Oz exhibition, Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, Maine. To commemorate the seventy-fifth anniversary of the famous MGM film version of The Wizard of Oz, the Farnsworth Museum will host an exhibit of Oz items from the extensive collection of Willard Carroll. Included will be many examples of L. Frank Baum's books, including first editions, the Witch's hourglass, the green Lollipop Guild member's costume, one of Judy Garland's Dorothy dresses, posters, and many other items. For more details, see the exhibit's press release, and the exhibit's website at http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/exhibition/wonderful-world-oz-selections-willard-carrolltom-wilhite-collection. And here's an article from the local newspaper. And here's another local article.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. For more information, see TNT's dedicated pages for the movie at http://www.tnt.tv/movies/movietitle/?oid=2086&iref=sitesearch, and TBS's at http://www.tbs.com/movies/movietitle/0,,12281||,00.html. Here's what's on tap (as always, check local listings for exact time and channel in your area):
- December 21, TNT, 7:00 p.m. and 9:15 p.m.
- December 22, TNT, 1:00 p.m.
Bonhams Fine Books and Manuscripts Auction, New York City, New York
December 11, 2013: Bonhams Fine Books and Manuscripts Auction, New York City, New York. The famous auction house is selling off books, manuscripts, and related items today. Among items sure to be of interest to Oz fans are a first edition of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, one of only two known copies inscribed by both L. Frank Baum and W. W. Denslow; several pieces of original art and printing plates for the Oz books by John R. Neill, including the endpaper design for The Wonder City of Oz; and the original sign from the Wizard of Oz Lodge at Bass Lake, Indiana, where the earliest Oz Club conventions were held. For more information, including how to follow the auction or to bid online, or to get the catalog, see the auction's website at http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21029/. You can also read a further article right here.
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus animated special, national cablecast
December 21, 2013: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus animated special, ABC Family Channel national cablecast. During the channel's annual 25 Days of Christmas programming throughout December, there's always a block of the old classic Rankin-Bass animated specials, which usually includes the 1985 production of The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, based on the book by L. Frank Baum. This year, that block is on Saturday, December 21, and The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus will be shown at 6:30 a.m. The complete schedule can be found here. As always, check your local listings for exact time and channel in your area.
Legends of Oz movie, in theaters throughout the United States and Canada
Sometime in 2014 (exact date to be announced): Legends of Oz movie, in theaters throughout the United States and Canada (at least). This 3-D CGI animated musical movie, based on the book Dorothy of Oz by Roger S. Baum, has been in production for some time, and it now has a distributor and release date. The movie features the voices of Lea Michele as Dorothy, Dan Aykroyd as the Scarecrow, Kelsey Grammer as the Tin Man, Jim Belushi as the Cowardly Lion, Martin Short as the Jester, Megan Hilty as the China Princess, and Patrick Stewart as Tugg. For more information about the movie, see its website at http://www.dorothyofoz.com/.
Oogaboo Rendezvous, Vashon Island, Washington
January 4, 2014: Oogaboo Rendezvous, Vashon Island, Washington. Pacific Northwest Wizard of Oz fans get together for one of their frequent social gatherings. This is the annual New Y'Oz gathering, at the home of Robin and Arlene Hess. Bring your new Oz holiday gifts for show and tell. Plus, there's a potluck dinner and a quiz over the host's new book, Toto and the Cats of Oz. For more information, contact the hosts at email@example.com.
Broadwayworld.com Visits Oz benefit show, New York City, New York
January 20, 2014: Broadwayworld.com Visits Oz benefit show, Joe's Pub at the Public Theater, New York City, New York. To celebrate its tenth anniversary, and raise funds for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the website is putting on this benefit concert, featuring some of the biggest stars and top up-and-comers of Broadway. Among the Oz-related names to appear will be Stephanie J. Block, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kristin Chenoweth, André de Shields, and Andrea McArdle. For more information, see this article. Tickets can be purchased right here.
Screenland at the Symphony: The Wizard of Oz, Kansas City, Missouri
February 27-28, 2014: Screenland at he Symphony: The Wizard of Oz, Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Kansas City, Missouri. The popular pairing of the famous film version and a symphony orchestra comes to western Missouri as the Kansas City Symphony does the honors. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the Symphony's website.
TCM Film Festival, Hollywood, California
April 10-13, 2014: TCM Film Festival, Hollywood, California. Turner Classic Movies, the home of classic movies on television, celebrates its twentieth anniversary (and the film festival's fifth anniversary) with movies shown on the big screen, in the home of moviemaking. One of this year's movies is the new IMAX 3-D presentation of The Wizard of Oz, which is also celebrating a milestone anniversary, its seventy-fifth. For more information about the festival, or to purchase tickets, see the website at http://filmfestival.tcm.com/.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz Road Race, Olathe, Kansas
April 26, 2014: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. Well, if you're going to organize a long-distance run in Kansas, you may as well make it Oz-themed. For details, including course routes and registration information, check out the website at ozmarathon.com.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz children's museum exhibit, Clarksville, Tennessee
April-June 2014 (exact dates to be announced): The Wonderful Wizard of Oz children's museum exhibit, Custom House Museum, Clarksville, Tennessee. The exhibit based on the original Oz book comes to Tennessee. Further information will be posted when available. Keep an eye on the museum's website at http://customshousemuseum.org/.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May, 2014: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to http://www.live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent. You can also look for the station at http://www.athena365.com/index.live and on itunes Adult Contemporary radio.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May, 2014: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
Pickering Church Flower Festival, Ryedale, England, Great Britain
May 23-June 2, 2014: Pickering Church Flower Festival, Pickering, England, Great Britain. The theme for this year's flower festival will be The Wizard of Oz, as the church grounds and much of the surrounding town will be taken over by flower exhibits of all sorts. Even the famous local steam train will have a Wizard of Oz week. For more information, see the church's website, the town's website, and the railroad's website.
Oz-Stravaganza and National Oz Convention, Chittenango, New York
June 5-8, 2014: Oz-Stravaganza and National Oz Convention, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://oz-stravaganza.com, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org. Plus, this year's Oz-Stravaganza will also be host to the International Wizard of Oz Club's National Convention. Keep an eye on the Club's website and Facebook page for more information about the Club's events.
Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June 10-15, 2014: Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town throws its annual party in her honor. For more information, check out the website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/events.html.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A New Musical world premiere, Renton, Washington
July 3-20, 2014: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A New Musical world premiere staging, Renton Theatre, Renton, Washington. This show has been in development for a long time, but it looks like the light at the end of the tunnel is finally coming through. For more details and updates, see the show's website at http://wwozanewmusical.webs.com/, its Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Wonderful-Wizard-of-Oz-A-New-Musical/270290333002736?ref=stream, and the theater's page (with links to buy tickets) at http://rentoncivictheatre.org/the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz-a-new-musical/.
Winkie Convention, San Diego, California
August 8-10, 2014: Winkie Convention, Town and Country Hotel, San Diego, California. The western convention of the International Wizard of Oz Club celebrates its fiftieth edition with a big event, back in its southern California roots. As well as its own anniversary, the convention commemorates the seventy-fifth anniversary of the famous movie version of The Wizard of Oz and the hundredth anniversary of the book Tik-Tok of Oz. For more information, see the event's website at http://ozconinternational.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/417830305000571/. And you can register online at http://ozconinternational.com/registration.html.
Oz Fest Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August 16, 2014: Oz Fest Illinois, Butler Haynes Park, Mapleton, Illinois. This one day festival, at the site of a permanent Wizard of Oz children's garden, will feature Oz characters, an Oz costume parade, an Oz puppet show, exhibitions, vendors, and more. For more information, see the festival's Facebook page.
Baum and Neal House Fundraiser, Syracuse, New York
August 22-24, 2014: Without This House There'd Be No Oz fundraiser, Baum and Neal House, Syracuse, New York. To raise funds for the preservation of the house where L. Frank Baum met Maud Gage, the woman who would become his wife, the Lyman Frank Baum Foundation is holding a fundraiser at the house. This year's celebration commemorates seventy-five years of the famous film version of The Wizard of Oz, and one hundred years of the novel Tik-Tok of Oz. For more information, see the event's Facebook page.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
September, 2014: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Midwest Oz Fest 2014, Chicagoland, Illinois
September 19-21, 2014: Midwest Oz Fest 2014, Chicagoland, Illinois. To celebrate seventy-five years of the famous movie version of The Wizard of Oz, the southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://www.midwestozfest.com/home.html.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October, 2014: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.autumnatoz.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October, 2014: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
Wizard of Oz Festival and movie showing, Naperville and Woodridge, Illinois
November, 2014: Wizard of Oz Festival, Hollywood Palms Cinema, Naperville, Illinois, and Hollywood Boulevard Cinema, Woodridge, Illinois. The theaters' annual showing of The Wizard of Oz. For details, see the cinemas' Special Events page or the Facebook page.