Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news.
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through October 4, 2015: ASU Gammage, Tempe, Arizona
- October 7-18, 2015: Music Hall, Kansas City, Missouri
- October 21-November 1, 2015: Overture Center for the Arts, Madison, Wisconsin
- November 4-15, 2015: Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- November 18-December 6, 2015: The Kentucky Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- December 9, 2015-January 3, 2016: The Fabulous Fox Theatre, St. Louis, Missouri
- January 6-31, 2016: Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, North Carolina
- February 17-March 3, 2016: Sangstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa, California
- April 20-May 22, 2016: Music Hall at Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
- May 25-June 19, 2016: Saenger Theatre, New Orleans, Louisiana
- June 22-July 3, 3016: Jefferson Civic Center Concert HAll, Birmingham, Alabama
- July 6-August 14, 2016: Hobby Center for the Performaing Arts, Houston, Texas
- August 17-September 4, 2016: Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio
Lost in Oz pilot, Amazon.com
Now playing: Lost in Oz pilot episode, Amazon.com. In this pilot episode for a possible new kid's show, 12-year-old Dorothy finds her mother's magic journal, and she and her dog, Toto, are whisked off to Oz in a magic tornado. Once they get there, Dorothy discovers that Oz is facing a magic crisis, and Dorothy must find all of the elements of the magic periodic table to fix her journal and find her way back home. If this pilot is successful enough and receives enough positive feedback, it could become a series later this year. For more information, or to watch it and leave your own comments, go to http://www.amazon.com/Lost-in-Oz/dp/B00Z89OAFY/.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- (No showings scheduled.)
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Summerfest, Grapevine, Texas
Now through September 7: Summerfest, Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center, Grapevine, Texas. The theme for this year's summer celebration at the resort is the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and there will be Oz-themed family activities throughout the season. Ozzy events include arts and crafts, entertainers, Oz movies, an art tour, and a treasure hunt. For more information, see the resort's Summerfest website and this press release.
A Day in Oz Festival, Clarksville, Missouri
August 29, 2015: A Day in Oz Festival, Clarksville, Missouri. Oz events, activities, and booths will be going on all day in this event sponsored by the Clarksville Community Chamber of Commerce. For more information, see http://www.riverbender.com/articles/details/a-day-in-oz-coming-to-clarksville-missouri-8458.cfm and the events' Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/adayinozfestival.
Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois
September 11-13, 2015: Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois. To celebrate seventy-five years of the famous movie version of The Wizard of Oz, the southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
The Wizard of Song revue, Cleveland, Tennessee
September 15, 2015: The Wizard of Song revue, Conn Center, Lee University, Cleveland, Tennessee. Celebrating the life and works of songwriter Harold Arlen, this show is playing in Tennessee for one night. Featured songs include Arlen classics like "That Old Black Magic", "Stormy Weather", and, of course, "Over the Rainbow". The performance starts at 7:00 p.m., and tickets will be sold at the door at $30 for adults or $10 for students. For more information, call the box office at 423-780-9861 or 423-715-5662.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
September 25-26, 2015: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October 3-4, 2015: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/#!autumnatoz/c1ox4. Tickets may be purchased at https://autumnatoz.ticketssoeasy.com/index.cfm?include=eventsprofileoutput&eid=2842 (if they're not already sold out).
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October 3-4, 2015: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
Greater Gulf State Fair, Mobile, Alabama
October 30-November 8, 2015: Greater Gulf State Fair, The Grounds, Mobile, Alabama. This year, Alabama's largest fair's theme is "Lions, Tigers, the Fair, Oh My" and will take on a definitely Oz-tinged air. Events and exhibitions include a wild animal show, the Circus of Oz, and a giant Emerald City art piece. For more details or to buy tickets, see the fairgrounds' website at http://thegroundsmobile.com/.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Check back as the season gets closer.
The Wiz national live broadcast, NBC
December 3, 2015: The Wiz live musical, NBC. The network's annual live musical has been announced, and it's an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz! Debuting on Broadway in 1975 and winning seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, The Wiz retells the story of The Wizard of Oz with an African-American cast. Furthermore, after the broadcast, plans are in the works to bring the show to Broadway in 2016. Among the cast are newcomer Shanice Williamso as Dorothy, David Alan Grier as the Cowardly Lion, Mary J. Blige as the Wicked Witch of the West, and Queen Latifah as the Wiz. Stephanie Mills, Broadway's original Dorothy, will play Aunt Em. Keep watching the website, http://www.nbc.com/the-wiz-live, and this space for further information, including additional casting.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz national tour
The new stage production of The Wizard of Oz, based on The Movie but expanded with new material by Webber and songs by Tim Rice, is coming back for another tour. Here are the dates that have been announced:
- December 1-6, 2015: State Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio
- December 8-13, 2015: Orpheum Theater, Omaha, Nebraska
- December 15-20, 2015: Civic Center of Greater Des Moines, Des Moines, Iowa
- December 29, 2015-January 3, 2016: National Arts Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- January 5-10, 2016: Heinz Hall, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- January 12-17, 2016: Clowes Hall, Indianapolis, Indiana
- January 19-24, 2016: Auditorium Center, Rochester, New York
- January 29-February 4, 2016: San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, San Jose, California
- February 7-13, 2016: The Buelle Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- February 16-21, 2016: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- February 23-28, 2016: Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- March 8-13, 2016: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- March 15-20, 2016: San Diego Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- April 5-10, 2016: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- April 12-24, 2016: Wang Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts
- May 3-15, 2016: The National Theatre, Washington, DC
- May 27-29, 2016: Long Center, Austin, Texas
- May 31-June 5, 2016: The Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- June 7-12, 2016: Bass Performance Hall, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 21-26, 2016: Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia
- July 5-10, 2016: Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
- July 12-17, 2016: Straz Center, Tampa, Florida
For more information or to buy tickets, see the show's website.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April 2016 (exact date to be announced): Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May 2016: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to http://www.live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent. You can also look for the station at http://www.athena365.com/index.live and on itunes Adult Contemporary radio.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May 2016 (exact dates to be announced): Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (dates to be announced), 2016: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Judy Garland/Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June (dates to be announced), 2016: Judy Garland Wizard of Oz festival, Judy Garland Museum, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town celebrates their native daughter with a festival devoted to her and The Wizard of Oz. For more information, see the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June (dates to be announced(, 2016: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town becomes the latest city to hold a Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection exhibit, Davenport, Iowa
June 12-September 25, 2016: The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection museum exhibit, Katz Gallery, Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa. One of the largest and most extensive collections of Wizard of Oz memorabilia will get an outing this summer for folks in Iowa to see. For more information, see this article. The museum's website is at http://figgeartmuseum.org/.
OzCon International 2016, Portland, Oregon
July 15-17, 2016: OzCon International, Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, Portland, Oregon. The world's longest running Wizard of Oz event leaves California for the first time ever and visits the Rose City. Events, guests, and other information will be available soon. Visit the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1108566289173261/.
Oz Fest Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August (date to be announced), 2016: Oz Fest Illinois, Butler Haynes Park, Mapleton, Illinois. This one day festival, at the site of a permanent Wizard of Oz children's garden, will feature Oz characters, an Oz costume parade, an Oz puppet show, exhibitions, vendors, and more. For more information, see the festival's Facebook page.