Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
- 1.3 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.4 Emerald City television series, NBC
- 1.5 The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
- 1.6 Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
- 1.7 Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2 January 2017
- 3 February 2017
- 4 April 2017
- 5 May 2017
- 6 June 2017
- 7 August 2017
- 8 September 2017
- 9 October 2017
- 10 November/December 2017
- 11 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news.
- Wicked: A História Não Contada Das Bruxas de Oz recently opened at the Teatro Renault in São Paulo, Brazil, making it the first production in Portuguese and in South America. For more information, see http://wickedomusical.com.br/ (site is in Portuguese).
- A revival of the Japanese production recently closed in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for information about any possible new productions (site is in Japanese).
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through January 29, 2017: Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, Florida
- February 1-26, 2017: Straz Center, Tampa, Florida
- March 1-12, 2017: Proctors, Schenectady, New York
- March 15-26, 2017: Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, New York
- March 29-April 9, 2017: Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, New York
- April 12-May 14, 2017: Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- May 17-June 4, 2017: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- June 7-July 23, 2017: Boston Opera House, Boston, Massachusetts
- July 26-August 27, 2017: Academy of Music, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- August 30-September 10, 2017: Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, Appleton, Wisconsin
Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
Now playing: Ozmafia anime series, crunchyroll.com. In this Japanese anime series (based on the video game of the same name), Scarlet is a new transfer student at Oz Academy. He doesn't get off to a good start, but the teachers seem nice enough. But what strange secrets are hiding at Oz Academy, and why are they at war with the other academies? Episodes (in Japanese, with English subtitles) are available to view online at http://www.crunchyroll.com/ozmafia for free.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Emerald City television series, NBC
Emerald City television series, NBC national broadcast. The latest Oz TV project debuts tonight on NBC with a two-hour premiere. Here is the announced schedule:
- January 20: "Science and Magic", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- January 27: "Everybody Lies", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- February 3: "Beautiful Wickedness", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- February 10: "They Came First", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- February 17: "Lions in Winter", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- February 24: "The Villain That's Become", 9:00 pm EST/PST
- March 3: "No Place Like Home", 9:00 pm EST/PST
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- February 7, 11:00 am
- February 11, 12:00 noon
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/origins-of-oz-the/0/137669.
Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, Kansas City, Missouri
Now through August 20, 2017: Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures, Kansas City, Missouri. Explore the original literary story and its many retellings, including the 1939 Technicolor film, Return to Oz, and The Wiz, through playthings, first edition books, and original costumes at The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures. For more information, see the museum's website at http://toyandminiaturemuseum.org/.
(No events scheduled.)
Dorothy and the Prince of Oz ballet, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oz on the Bayou, Houma, Louisiana
April 1, 2017: Oz on the Bayou, Terrebonne Parish Library, Houma, Louisiana. No fooling, last year's event was so successful that they're doing it again! Come join the fun as we explore L. Frank Baum's World of Oz and The International Wizard of Oz Club through presentations, music & games. Events run from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/394281480919184/.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April 22, 2017: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
The Lost Princess of Oz discussion, Pasadena, California
April 23, 2016: The Lost Princess of Oz discussion, the lounge off the main lobby of the Pasadena Hilton Hotel, Pasadena, California. The fantasy discussion group Mydgard celebrates this year's Oz book centennial with an examination of The Lost Princess of Oz, beginning at 2:30 pm. Admission is free. For more information, contact Lee Speth at mailto:email@example.com.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May (exact dates to be announced), 2017: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
May 27, 2017: The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. This annual 5K and half-marathon run raises money for local charities while the participants dress in Oz costumes as they make their ways to the Emerald City at the end. For more information, or to sign up, go to http://www.theozrun.com/. And if you want to find out a little more, including video of the 2016 run, see http://www.weau.com/content/misc/Oz-Run---Dec-19th-407438355.html.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (exact dates to be announced), 2017: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June (dates to be announced), 2017: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town becomes the latest city to hold a Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
OzCon International, Portland, Oregon
June 30-July 2, 2017: OzCon International 2017: The 53rd Annual Winkie Convention, Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, Portland, Oregon. The world's longest-running Wizard of Oz convention comes to the Rose City again, bringing in Oz fans from all over the world. The theme book is The Lost Princess of Oz, and other books celebrating anniversaries this year have nomes, so Ozma and nomes will be celebrated. And the major Saturday evening show will be a recreation of the 1933-34 Wizard of Oz radio show. So make plans now and keep an eye on http://www.ozconinternational.com/our-next-convention.html and https://www.facebook.com/events/161861314230831/ for more information.
National Wizard of Oz Convention 2017, Chicago, Illinois
August 3-6, 2017: National Wizard of Oz Convention 2017, Chicago, Illinois. The Wizard is coming home! L. Frank Baum wrote The Wizard of Oz in Chicago, where it was also first published in 1900. The International Wizard of Oz Club brings its national convention to the Windy City for a homecoming. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Oz-the-National-Convention-190570977682557/?fref=ts.
Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois
September (dates to be announced), 2017: Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September (dates to be announced), 2017: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/#!autumnatoz/c1ox4. Tickets may be purchased at https://autumnatoz.ticketssoeasy.com/index.cfm?include=eventsprofileoutput&eid=2842 (if they're not already sold out).
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2017: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2017: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back throughout the season.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available, including casting!