Throwing an Oz Party
Resources and Ideas for Throwing a Wizard of Oz Party
Make a Lion from a paper plate (add a red bow to make him look like the Cowardly Lion).
Dave Barry has a cautionary tale about a Wizard of Oz-themed party (a classic Barry column, first published in 2004).
For more birthday ideas, including crafts the kids can make, check out http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/cartoons/oz.html.
You can download some Oz coloring pages at http://www.cartooncritters.com/wizardofoz.htm.
Looking for something particularly Ozzy to wear? Check out the selection of Oz costumes in Aisle 11 of this website's bookshop (you may have to scroll down a bit to find them). Or check out these other sources:
- Wizard of Oz Costumes.com — Buy the full range of character costumes for kids to adults including: Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Glinda, Wicked Witch, Munchkins, Flying Monkeys and others.
- Oz costumes and accessories at Birthday Express
- Oz costumes and supplies for sale
- The Costume Loft has Oz costumes and supplies for rent or sale
- Simplicity's Oz costume patterns
- Costume Holiday House — [Adult costumes] [Children's costumes] [Accessories]
- Scarepro's Costumes
- Annie's Costumes — [Adult Standard] [Adult Deluxe] [Sexy] [Children]
- Halloween Costumes 4 U
- Oz costumes for rent from Broadway Costumes
- Oz costumes for rent from Magic Makers
- Halloween Street's Oz costumes
- Marylen's Storybook character costumes (guess what one of those books is?)
- Display and Costume — all sorts of costumes and party supplies
- Fright Catalog, Halloween shop with Oz stuff
- Extreme Halloween
- Halloween Fantasy
- Oz costumes at Zoogster
- Official Oz costumes from Warner Bros. — [Adults] [Children] [Pets]
- Wizard of Oz Costumes at Halloween Express
- Wizard of Oz Costumes at Costume Kingdom
- Wizard of Oz Costumes at Halloween Manor
- Wizard of Oz Costumes at Mr. Costumes
- Costume Maniacs
- Costume Super Center
- Costume Center USA
- Mr. Costumes.com
- Oz costumes at All Fancy Dress.com, a British costume shop
- Custom Sparkles has custom-made replica ruby slippers
For something to do:
Or, if you really want to go to town, you can purchase a custom-made Flying Monkey piñata.
More suggestions for party favors
These are extremely inexpensive Oz books published by Dover, and available through this website from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.co.uk. Just click on the logos under the titles to go to the store of your choice.
- Fun with Wizard of Oz Stencils by Paul E. Kennedy. With paint or markers, you can put Dorothy and her friends on any surface!
- Invisible Oz Magic Picture Book by Victoria Fremont and Pat L. Stewart. Rub a pencil over the pictures, and watch new Oz characters appear!
- Little Wizard of Oz Activity Book by Victoria Fremont and Pat L. Stewart. A small activity book of Oz stuff.
- My Oz Notebook by Pat L. Stewart. A small Ozzy notebook, of course. Blank inside.
- Oz Sticker Activity Book by Cathy Beylon. Reuseable stickers of all of your favorite Oz friends, and a panoramic scene to stick them on.
- Twelve Wizard of Oz Bookmarks by Pat L. Stewart. The title says it all!
- The Wizard of Oz and Friends Stickers by Pat Stewart. Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, the Lion, and Toto, too, all in stickers based on the original W. W. Denslow artwork.
- The Wizard of Oz Stained Glass Coloring Book by Pat L. Stewart. Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, the Lion, and Toto, too, in pictures you can color, then hang in the window to let the sun shine through.
- The Wizard of Oz Sticker Story Book by Pat L. Stewart. The story, with stickers so you can help tell it.
- Wizard of Oz Tattoos by Pat Stewart. Put Dorothy and her friends on your face, arm, or anywhere else mom or dad will let you. Temporary tattoos, so they won't last more than a few days.
- 10 Oz Fun Books : Stickers, Stencils, Tattoos and More. A collection of the ten books above, in an attractive slipcase.
- The Wizard of Oz, Dover Thrift editions of L. Frank Baum's famous book, with W. W. Denslow's original illustrations.
- The Marvelous Land of Oz, Dover Thrift edition of L. Frank Baum's sequel to The Wizard of Oz, with John R. Neill's original illustrations.
- Dorothy of Oz Paper Doll by Tom Tierney. Dorothy and all of her very best Oz clothes.
All rights reserved. For full legal disclaimer, see the About This Site page