Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 Todrick Hall's Straight Outta Oz on tour
- 1.3 Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
- 1.4 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.5 Emerald City television series, NBC
- 1.6 The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
- 1.7 Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
- 1.8 The Wizard of Oz play, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 1.9 The Wizard of Oz museum exhibit, Jefferson, Wisconsin
- 1.10 The Wizard of Oz educational exhibit, Waco, Texas
- 1.11 The Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz play, Chicago, Illinois
- 1.12 The Wizard of Oz play, New York City, New York
- 1.13 The Wiz Play, Chicago, Illinois
- 1.14 The Wizard of Oz marionette show, Jersey City, New Jersey
- 1.15 Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2 April 2017
- 3 May 2017
- 4 June 2017
- 5 July 2017
- 6 August 2017
- 7 Autumn 2017
- 8 September 2017
- 9 October 2017
- 10 November/December 2017
- 11 April 2018
- 12 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news. The show is now being performed by amateur theatrical groups around the country, so check for local productions.
- Wicked: A História Não Contada Das Bruxas de Oz is now playing at the Teatro Renault in São Paulo, Brazil, making it the first production in Portuguese and in South America. For more information, see http://wickedomusical.com.br/ (site is in Portuguese).
- A revival of the Japanese production recently closed in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for information about any possible new productions (site is in Japanese).
- The recent UK tour has now gone international, with the following stops announced before returning to the British Isles:
- Now playing: Shanghai, China (site is in Chinese)
- Opens May 20, 2018: Beijing, China (site is in Chinese)
- Opens June 18, 2018: Guangzhou, China (site is in Chinese)
- November 11-December 31, 2017: Zurich, Switzerland (site is in German)
- January 31-March 3, 2018: Bristol Hippodrome, Bristol, England
- March 7-31, 2018: Liverpool Empire Theatre, Liverpool, England
- April 4-29, 2018: Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham, England
- May 8-June 9, 2018: Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland
- June 13-July 7, 2018: Leeds Grand Theatre, Leeds, England
- July 17-August 26, 2018: Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
- September 6-29, 2018: Sunderland Empire, Sunderland, England
- October 3-27, 2018: Mayflower Theatre Southampton, Southampton, England
- October 31-November 24, 2018: Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff, Wales
- December 4, 2018-January 5, 2019: Palace Theatre Manchester, Manchester, England
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through May 14, 2017: Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- May 17-June 4, 2017: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- June 7-July 23, 2017: Boston Opera House, Boston, Massachusetts
- July 26-August 27, 2017: Academy of Music, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- August 30-September 10, 2017: Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, Appleton, Wisconsin
- September 13-October 16, 2017: Procter and Gamble Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio
- October 18-November 5, 2017: Devos Performance Hall, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- November 8-December 3, 2017: State Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio
- December 6, 2017-January 21, 2018: Oriental Thetre, Chicago, Illinois
- January 24-February 11, 2018: Benedum Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- February 14-March 4, 2018: Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- March 7-25, 2018: Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, Tennessee
- June 6-17, 2018: Stranahan Theatre, Toledo, Ohio
Todrick Hall's Straight Outta Oz on tour
Now on tour: Todrick Hall's Straight Outta Oz. The performance artist's Oz-themed show is touring the world, and may be coming to a venue near you. Here are the currently announced stops:
- April 25, 2017: Marathon Music Works, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 26, 2017: Halloran Center for the Performing Arts, Memphis, Tennessee
- April 27, 2017: Carver Theater for the Performing Arts Jazz Hall, Birmingham, Alabama
- April 28, 2017: Thelma Gaylord Performing Arts Center/Civic Center Music Hall, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- April 29, 2017: Zilkha Hall/The Hobby Center, Houston, Texas
- April 30, 2017: The Bomb Factory, Dallas, Texas
- May 1, 2017: National Hispanic Cultural Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- May 3, 2017: Mesa Arts Center, Mesa, Arizona
- May 4, 2017: Rialto Theatre, Tucson, Arizona
- May 5, 2017: Fox Performing Arts Center, Riverside, California
- May 6, 2017: Red Rocks Resort, Rocks Lounge, Las Vegas, Nevada
- May 9, 2017: The UC Theatre, Berkeley, California
- May 10, 2017: Rogue Theatre, Grants Pass, Oregon
- May 11, 2017: Aladdin Theatre, Portland, Oregon
- May 12, 2017: The Moore Theatre, Seattle, Washington
- May 13, 2017: Tower Theatre, Bend, Oregon
- May 14, 2017: The Egyptian Theatre, Boise, Idaho
- May 15, 2017: South Shore Room Harrah's Lake Tahoe, Stateline, Nevada
- May 16, 2017: The Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz, California
- May 20, 2017: Saban Theatre, Beverly Hills, California
- May 22, 2017: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, England, United Kingdom
- May 23, 2017: Teatro della Luna, Milan, Italy
- May 24, 2017: Plaza, Zurich, Switzerland
- May 25, 2017: La Madeleine, Brussels, Belgium
- May 26, 2017: Gloria, Cologne, Germany
- May 27, 2017: La Cigale, Paris, France
- May 29, 2017: Meervaart, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- June 1, 2017: Astor Theatre, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- June 3, 2017: Plaza Theatre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- June 4, 2017: Enmore Theatre, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- June 5, 2017: Athenaeum, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
For more information, or to book tickets, see Hall's website at http://todrickhall.com/.
Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
Now playing: Ozmafia anime series, crunchyroll.com. In this Japanese anime series (based on the video game of the same name), Scarlet is a new transfer student at Oz Academy. He doesn't get off to a good start, but the teachers seem nice enough. But what strange secrets are hiding at Oz Academy, and why are they at war with the other academies? Episodes (in Japanese, with English subtitles) are available to view online at http://www.crunchyroll.com/ozmafia for free.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Emerald City television series, NBC
Emerald City television series, NBC national broadcast. The latest Oz TV project has gone through its broadcast run on NBC. But the show's website is still up at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city. You can still watch episodes online at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city/episodes.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- (No showing currently scheduled.)
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/origins-of-oz-the/0/137669.
Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
The Wizard of Oz play, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Now through April 30, 2017: The Wizard of Oz play, Armory for the Arts Theater, Santa Fe, New Mexico. A non-musical adaptation of the story. For more information, see http://www.sfperformingarts.org/performances-events/.
The Wizard of Oz museum exhibit, Jefferson, Wisconsin
Through May, 2017: The Wizard of Oz museum exhibit, Jefferson Historical Museum, Jefferson, Wisconsin. The museum has an exhibit celebrating all aspects of Oz, including a tribute to local resident Meinhardt Raabe, who played the Munchkin Coroner in The Movie. The museum is open Wednesdays and Sundays, and other days by appointment. For more information see this article. The museum's website is at http://jeffersonhistoricalsociety.org/.
The Wizard of Oz educational exhibit, Waco, Texas
Now through May 7, 2017: The Wizard of Oz educational exhibit, Mayborn Museum, Waco, Texas. The interactive children's museum exhibit based on the famous film version of the story has come to the Baylor University campus. While wandering through the events and locations from The Movie, visitors will learn about science and their own personal strengths and gifts. For more information, see the exhibit's website at http://www.baylor.edu/mayborn/index.php?id=940312.
The Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz play, Chicago, Illinois
Now through May 7, 2017: The Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz play, Chopin Theatre, Chicago' Illinois. The House Theatre of Chicago presents this updated adaptation of The Wizard of Oz in which Dorothy, having gained a reputation as a Witch Slayer, must deal with her darker, more violent tendencies. Recommended for audience members ages twelve and up. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://thehousetheatre.com/playsandevents/wizardozseason15.
The Wizard of Oz play, New York City, New York
Now through May 27, 2017: The Wizard of Oz play, Tato Laviera Theatre, Manhattan, New York City, New York. The popular musical version of The Movie has had its run by the Harlem Repertory Theatre extended well into spring. For more information, see the company's website at http://www.harlemrepertorytheatre.com/current_season.html. Tickets can be bought at http://tix.smarttix.com/Modules/Sales/SalesMainTabsPage.aspx?ControlState=1&DateSelected=&SalesEventId=6038.
The Wiz Play, Chicago, Illinois
Now through June 8, 2017: The Wiz play, Apollo Theatre in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois. Chicago's Emerald City Theatre Company celebrates its twentieth season with an extremely appropriate show, namely 'The Wiz, given a Windy City setting. Adapted especially for young playgoers, aged 5 to 12. For more information, see the show's website at http://www.emeraldcitytheatre.com/shows-and-tickets/the-wiz/.
The Wizard of Oz marionette show, Jersey City, New Jersey
Now through June 11, 2017: The Wizard of Oz marionette show, Jersey City Theater Center, Jersey City, New Jersey.. Puppetworks presents this new adaptation of the famous story, adapted by Nicolas Coppola. Performances are every Sunday at 1:00 pm, and the show is appropriate for anyone aged 3 or up. To get more details, or to purchase tickets, go to the Puppetworks website.
Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, Kansas City, Missouri
Now through August 20, 2017: Toys from the Land of Oz exhibit, The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures, Kansas City, Missouri. Explore the original literary story and its many retellings, including the 1939 Technicolor film, Return to Oz, and The Wiz, through playthings, first edition books, and original costumes at The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures. For more information, see the museum's website at http://toyandminiaturemuseum.org/.
The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Lehighton, Pennsylvania
April 28 and 29, 2017: The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mahoning Drive-In Theater, Lehighton, Pennsylvania. The winter is over at last, so this drive-in heater kicks off its season with a kid-friendly musical double feature. This is your chance to see The Movie on a really big screen! For more information, see the theater's website at http://mahoningdit.com/index.html, and the showing's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/635205500020154/.
The Wizard of Oz, Phoenix, Arizona
May 5-6, 2017: The Wizard of Oz, St. Teresa Catholic School, Phoenix, Arizona. The K-8 school is putting on a stage adaptation of the story. For more information or to purchase tickets, see these pages for May 5 and May 6.
The Wizard of Oz ballet, Akron, Ohio
May 6-7, 2017: The Wizard of Oz ballet, Ballet Theater of Ohio, Akron, Ohio. The latest ballet adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, presented for only one weekend. For more information, or to buy tickets, see the company's website at http://www.ballettheatreohio.org/.
The Wizard of Oz play, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
May 12-21, 2017: The Wizard of Oz play, Mukwonago, Wisconsin. The Village Players are putting on the musical stage adaptation of the famous movie version of the story. For more information, keep an eye on the company's website at https://mukwonagovillageplayers.org/.
Judy play, London, England, United Kingdom
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May 27, 2017: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
May 27, 2017: The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. This annual 5K and half-marathon run raises money for local charities while the participants dress in Oz costumes as they make their ways to the Emerald City at the end. For more information, or to sign up, go to http://www.theozrun.com/. And if you want to find out a little more, including video of the 2016 run, see http://www.weau.com/content/misc/Oz-Run---Dec-19th-407438355.html.
Journey with Dorothy, Beech Mountain, North Carolina
Every Friday in June, 2017: Journey with Dorothy, Land of Oz Park, Beech Mountain, North Carolina. Visit the Land of Oz Park at the top of Beech Mountain as one of Dorothy's friends—or a villain! Join Dorothy as she searches for the Wizard. For more information about this event, see the website at http://www.landofoznc.com/journeywithdorothy.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June 2-4, 2017: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June 8-10, 2017: Wizard of Oz Festival, Judy Garland Museum and environs, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy Garland's home town celebrates her most famous role in this annual festival, with events all over town spread out over three days. For more information, see the announcement at http://garlandletterfromhome.blogspot.com/2017/04/happy-spring-2017-wizard-of-oz-festival.html, and keep an eye on the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/ for more information.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June 17, 2017: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town becomes the latest city to hold a Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
The Wizard of Oz puppet show, Kansas City, Missouri
June 20-July 9, 2017: The Wizard of Oz puppet show, Menser Puppet Theater, Kansas City, Missouri. This is an original adaptation of L. Frank Baum's first Oz story, presented with puppets. For more information, or to buy tickets, go to http://mesnerpuppets.org/index.php/2015-12-07-05-37-12/2014-07-31-17-34-13.
OzCon International, Portland, Oregon
June 30-July 2, 2017: OzCon International 2017: The 53rd Annual Winkie Convention, Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, Portland, Oregon. The world's longest-running Wizard of Oz convention comes to the Rose City again, bringing in Oz fans from all over the world. The theme book is The Lost Princess of Oz, and other books celebrating anniversaries this year have nomes, so Ozma and nomes will be celebrated. And the major Saturday evening show will be a recreation of the 1933-34 Wizard of Oz radio show. So make plans now and keep an eye on http://www.ozconinternational.com/our-next-convention.html and https://www.facebook.com/events/161861314230831/ for more information.
The Wizard of Oz train ride, Bryson City, North Carolina
July 14-August 6, 2017: The Wizard of Oz train ride, Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, Bryson, North Carolina. This vintage scenic railway offers a summer Wizard of oz themed ride, with two trips every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the railway's website at http://www.gsmr.com/events/wizard-of-oz#.WOo3uVPyv_R, or its Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/195868987565565/.
National Wizard of Oz Convention 2017, Chicago, Illinois
August 3-6, 2017: National Wizard of Oz Convention 2017, Chicago, Illinois. The Wizard is coming home! L. Frank Baum wrote The Wizard of Oz in Chicago, where it was also first published in 1900. The International Wizard of Oz Club brings its national convention to the Windy City for a homecoming. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Oz-the-National-Convention-190570977682557/?fref=ts.
Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois
August 4-6, 2017: Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio
Dates to be announced: Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio. All is still very much in the works right now, but plans are underway for an Oz festival in this village between Cleveland and Akron. Stay tuned for more information when it becomes available!
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September 8-10, 2017: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/autumnatoz.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October 7, 2017: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October 7, 2017: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the city's events page and the city's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates).
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back throughout the season.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April, 2018: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available, including casting!