Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
- 1.3 The Wizard of Oz North American tour
- 1.4 Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
- 1.5 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.6 Emerald City television series, NBC
- 1.7 The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
- 1.8 Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
- 1.9 Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
- 1.10 The Wiz, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 1.11 "Landmarks: Maps as Literary Illustrations" exhibit, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 2 March 2018
- 3 April 2018
- 4 May 2018
- 5 June 2018
- 6 August 2018
- 7 September 2018
- 8 October 2018
- 9 November/December 2018
- 10 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following productions:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news. The show is now being performed by amateur theatrical groups around the country, so check for local productions.
- A revival of the Japanese production wrapped up its run in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for information about Wicked in Japan (site is in Japanese).
- The recent UK tour went abroad, but is now back in the British Isles:
- March 7-31, 2018: Liverpool Empire Theatre, Liverpool, England
- April 4-29, 2018: Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham, England
- May 8-June 9, 2018: Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland
- June 13-July 7, 2018: Leeds Grand Theatre, Leeds, England
- July 17-August 26, 2018: Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
- September 6-29, 2018: Sunderland Empire, Sunderland, England
- October 3-27, 2018: Mayflower Theatre Southampton, Southampton, England
- October 31-November 24, 2018: Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff, Wales
- December 4, 2018-January 5, 2019: Palace Theatre Manchester, Manchester, England
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- March 7-25, 2018: Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, Tennessee
- March 28-April 22, 2018: Andrew Jackson Hall, Tennessee Performing Arts Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 25-May 13, 2018: Old National Centre, Indianapolis, Indiana
- May 16-June 3, 2018: Orpheum Theatre, Omaha, Nebraska
- June 6-17, 2018: Stranahan Theatre, Toledo, Ohio
- June 20-August 5, 2018: Ed Mirvish Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- August 7-September 2, 2018: Detroit Opera House, Detroit, Michigan
- October 17-28, 2018: Popejoy Hall, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- October 31-November 25, 2018: Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- June 12-July 7, 2019: Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz Australian tour. Lord Webber's new production, expanded from the version of the story first seen in the famous movie version, goes Down Under. The following stops have been announced:
- April 3-21, 2018: Adelaide Festival Centre, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- May 15-June 17, 2018: Regent Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
For more information about the tour, and to book tickets, see the show's website at https://www.wizardofozthemusical.com/.
The Wizard of Oz North American tour
The Wizard of Oz North American tour. This touring production of the musical, based on The Movie, is now traveling around the United States and Canada. The following stops have been announced:
- March 6-7, 2018: Van Wezel Perfoming Arts Hall, Sarasota, Florida.
- March 8, 2018: Lakeland Center-Youkey Theatre, Lakeland, Florida.
- March 10, 2018: Thrasher-Horne Center for the Arts, Orange Park, Florida.
- March 11, 2018: Marina Civic Center, Panama City, Florida.
- March 13-18, 2018: Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts-Memorial Auditorium, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- March 19, 2018: Givens Performing Arts Center, Pembroke, North Carolina.
- March 20, 2018: Berglund Performing Arts Theater, Roanoke, Virginia.
- March 21, 2018: Clay Center, Charleston, West Virginia.
- March 22, 2018: Ferguson Center for the Arts, Newport News, Virginia.
- March 24-25, 2018: Budweiser Gardens, London, Ontario, Canada.
- March 26-27, 2018: Core Entertainment, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- March 29, 2018: Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
- April 6-8, 2018: The Bushnell Center-Mortensen Hall, Hartford, Connecticut.
- April 10, 2018: Cross Insurance Center, Bangor, Maine.
- April 11-12, 2018: Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, Burlington, Vermont.
- April 13, 2018: F. M. Kirby Center, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
- April 14, 2018: Tilles Center for the Performing Arts, Brookville, New York.
- April 15, 2018: Community Arts Center, Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
- April 17-18, 2018: Indiana University Auditorium, Bloomington, Indiana.
- April 19, 2018: State Farm Center, Champaign, Illinois.
- April 21, 2018: R. Don Cowan Fine & Performing Arts Center, Tyler, Texas.
- April 22, 2018: The Strand Theatre, Shreveport, Louisiana.
- April 24, 2018: SKYPAC, Bowling Green, Kentucky.
- April 25-26, 2018: The Peoria Civic Center Theatre, Peoria, Illinois.
- April 27, 2018: Old National Events Plaza, Evansville, Indiana.
- April 28, 2018: Elliot Hall of Music, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- April 29, 2018: The Carson Center, Padukah, Kentucky.
- May 2, 2018: Cross Insurance Center, Bangor, Maine.
- May 4-5, 2018: State Theatre New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- May 7-20, 2018: The Chicago Theatre, Chicago, Illinois.
For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://wizardofoztour.com/.
Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
Now playing: Ozmafia anime series, crunchyroll.com. In this Japanese anime series (based on the video game of the same name), Scarlet is a new transfer student at Oz Academy. He doesn't get off to a good start, but the teachers seem nice enough. But what strange secrets are hiding at Oz Academy, and why are they at war with the other academies? Episodes (in Japanese, with English subtitles) are available to view online at http://www.crunchyroll.com/ozmafia for free.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Emerald City television series, NBC
Emerald City television series, NBC national broadcast. The latest Oz TV project has gone through its broadcast run on NBC. But the show's website is still up at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city. You can still watch episodes online at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city/episodes.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- (No showings currently scheduled.)
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/origins-of-oz-the/0/137669.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
The Wiz, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Now through March 18, 2018: The Wiz, UnitedHealth Group Stage, Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minneapolis Children's Theatre Company and Penumbra Theatre are teaming up for this new adaptation of The Wiz in the Twin Cities. For more information, or to order tickets, see the show's website at https://childrenstheatre.org/plays/2017-2018-season/the-wiz.
"Landmarks: Maps as Literary Illustrations" exhibit, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Now through April 14, 2018: "Landmarks: Maps as Literary Illustrations" exhibit, Houghton Library, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard's library for rare and antique books is currently showing maps of famous literary locations, including Don Quixote's Spain, the Hundred Acre Wood, and Utopia. One of the items is Professor Wogglebug's map of Oz, as first published as an endpaper for Tik-Tok of Oz in 1914. For more information, see the library's website.
The Wiz and The Wizard of Oz viewing parties, El Paso, Texas
March 1 and 2, 2018: the Wiz and The Wizard of Oz viewing parties, Alamo Drafthouse Theater, El Paso, Texas. The legendary Alamo Drafthouse Theater brings a double feature of Oz viewing parties to West Texas. For more information, see the following event pages:
"Toto, I've Got a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore" Lecture, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
March 10, 2018: "Toto, I've Got a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore" Lecture, Woodmere Art Museum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Michael Patrick Hearn, noted Oz scholar, gives an illustrated talk about how the story of The Wizard of Oz has been illustrated for more than a century. Tickets are $10 for museum members, or $15 for the general public. For more information, see the lecture's website at https://woodmereartmuseum.org/calendar/lecture-toto-i-ve-got-a-feeling-we-re-not-in-kansas-anymore. And while you're at the Woodmere, one of their current exhibits is Charles Santore: Fifty Years of Art and Storytelling, which includes some of Santore's work for The Wizard of Oz.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April 21, 2018: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May 25-26, 2018: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
May 26, 2018: The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. This annual 5K and half-marathon run raises money for local charities while the participants dress in Oz costumes as they make their ways to the Emerald City at the end. For more information, or to sign up, go to http://www.theozrun.com/. And if you want to find out a little more, including video of the 2016 run, see http://www.weau.com/content/misc/Oz-Run---Dec-19th-407438355.html.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June 1-3, 2018: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June 8-9, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town holds an annual Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June 14-16, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival, Judy Garland Museum and environs, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy Garland's home town celebrates her most famous role in this annual festival, with events all over town spread out over three days. For more information, see the announcement at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/wizard-of-oz-festival?id=48, and keep an eye on the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/ for more information.
Midwest Oz Fest 2018, Tinley Park, Illinois
August (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August (date to be announced), 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois. The annual celebration of Oz in this Illinois town. For more infarmation, see the event's website at http://www.hollispark.org/oz-fest, and Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfest/.
Wizard of Oz Days, New London, Missouri
August (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Wizard of Oz Days Festival, New London City Park, New London, Missouri. The community throws a party celebrating Oz. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/374941192901941/, and also https://www.facebook.com/wizardofozdays/.
OzCon International, Pomona, Californiahttp://www.ozconinternational.com/ for details.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/autumnatoz.
Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio
September (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio. The second year for this event in Ohio. For more information, see the website at https://wizardofozohio.com/, and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/wizardofozfestivalohio/.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2018: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2018: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the city's events page and the city's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates).
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back for details throughout the season.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available, including casting!