Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
- 1.3 The Wizard of Oz North American tour
- 1.4 Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
- 1.5 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.6 Emerald City television series, NBC.com
- 1.7 Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
- 1.8 Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
- 1.9 Journey with Dorothy tour, Beech Mountain, North Carolina
- 2 June 2018
- 3 August 2018
- 4 September 2018
- 5 October 2018
- 6 November/December 2018
- 7 April 2019
- 8 May 2019
- 9 June 2019
- 10 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following productions:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to https://wickedthemusical.com/behind-the-emerald-curtain#scrolldown for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/.
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news. The show is now being performed by amateur theatrical groups around the country, so check for local productions.
- A revival of the Japanese production wrapped up its run in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for information about Wicked in Japan (site is in Japanese).
- The recent UK tour went abroad, but is now back in the British Isles:
- June 13-July 7, 2018: Leeds Grand Theatre, Leeds, England
- July 17-August 26, 2018: Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
- September 6-29, 2018: Sunderland Empire, Sunderland, England
- October 3-27, 2018: Mayflower Theatre Southampton, Southampton, England
- October 31-November 24, 2018: Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff, Wales
- December 4, 2018-January 5, 2019: Palace Theatre Manchester, Manchester, England
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through June 17, 2018: Stranahan Theatre, Toledo, Ohio
- June 20-August 5, 2018: Ed Mirvish Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- August 7-September 2, 2018: Detroit Opera House, Detroit, Michigan
- September 5-23, 2018: Tulsa Performing Arts Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- September 26-October 14, 2018: Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- October 17-28, 2018: Popejoy Hall, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- October 31-November 25, 2018: Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- June 12-July 7, 2019: Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz Australian tour. Lord Webber's new production, expanded from the version of the story first seen in the famous movie version, goes Down Under. The following stops have been announced:
- Now through June 17, 2018: Regent Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
For more information about the tour, and to book tickets, see the show's website at https://www.wizardofozthemusical.com/.
The Wizard of Oz North American tour
The Wizard of Oz North American tour. This touring production of the musical, based on The Movie, is now traveling around the United States and Canada. The following stops have been announced:
- (No dates currently scheduled.)
For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://wizardofoztour.com/.
Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
Now playing: Ozmafia anime series, crunchyroll.com. In this Japanese anime series (based on the video game of the same name), Scarlet is a new transfer student at Oz Academy. He doesn't get off to a good start, but the teachers seem nice enough. But what strange secrets are hiding at Oz Academy, and why are they at war with the other academies? Episodes (in Japanese, with English subtitles) are available to view online at http://www.crunchyroll.com/ozmafia for free.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Emerald City television series, NBC.com
Emerald City television series, NBC national broadcast. The latest Oz TV project has gone through its broadcast run on NBC. But the show's website is still up at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city. You can still watch episodes online at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city/episodes.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
Journey with Dorothy tour, Beech Mountain, North Carolina
Throughout June, 2018: Journey with Dorothy Tour, Land of Oz Park, BeechMountain, North Carolina. The '70s Land of Oz Park in the Carolina mountains is open for tours this summer, and Dorothy is your guide! You may even get the chance to play one of her companions as your party looks for the Wizald. But watch out, the Wicked Witch might find you! Tours are every Friday in June—that's June 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29—plus a bonus day on June 30. For more information, see the website at https://www.landofoznc.com/journeywithdorothy.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June 8-9, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town holds an annual Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia. Local news coverage can be read at http://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20180531/wizard-of-oz-festival-returns-to-ionia.
Wizard of Oz train ride, Tavares, Florida
Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June 14-16, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival, Judy Garland Museum and environs, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy Garland's home town celebrates her most famous role in this annual festival, with events all over town spread out over three days. For more information, see the announcement at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/wizard-of-oz-festival?id=48, and keep an eye on the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/ for more information.
Midwest Oz Fest 2018, Tinley Park, Illinois
August (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Midwest Oz Fest 2017, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August (date to be announced), 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois. The annual celebration of Oz in this Illinois town. For more infarmation, see the event's website at http://www.hollispark.org/oz-fest, and Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfest/.
Wizard of Oz Days, New London, Missouri
August (exact dates to be announced), 2018: Wizard of Oz Days Festival, New London City Park, New London, Missouri. The community throws a party celebrating Oz. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/374941192901941/, and also https://www.facebook.com/wizardofozdays/.
OzCon International, Pomona, Californiahttp://www.ozconinternational.com/ for details.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September 7-9, 2018: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/autumnatoz.
Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio
September 28-30, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio. The second year for this event in Ohio. For more information, see the website at https://wizardofozohio.com/, and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/wizardofozfestivalohio/.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2018: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2018: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the city's events page and the city's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates).
Wizard of Oz ballet, Kansas City, Missouri
October 12-21, 2018: The Wizard of Oz ballet, Kansas City Ballet, Kansas City, Missouri. This world premiere ballet, based on the first Oz book, opens Kansas City Ballet's 2018-19 season, and is presented in conjunction with the Colorado Ballet and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. Details are available in this article. Keep an eye on the company's website for more information, including when tickets go on sale.
The Return of the Ruby Slippers, Washington, DC
October 19, 2018: The Return of the Ruby Slippers, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC. Last seen by the public in 2017, the Smithsonian's pair of Ruby Slippers used in The Wizard of Oz have been behind-the-scenes being researched and restored, following a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised nearly $350,000. Work continues, but they will be back on display on October 19, 2018, in a temporary display while the rest of the museum undergoes renovation for a 2020 reopening. For more information, see the museum's press release at http://americanhistory.si.edu/press/releases/ruby-slippers-return.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back for details throughout the season.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April (date to be announced), 2019: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
May (exact date to be announced), 2019: The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. This annual 5K and half-marathon run raises money for local charities while the participants dress in Oz costumes as they make their ways to the Emerald City at the end. For more information, or to sign up, go to http://www.theozrun.com/. And if you want to find out a little more, including video of the 2016 run, see http://www.weau.com/content/misc/Oz-Run---Dec-19th-407438355.html.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available, including casting!