- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 High Drama: Against All Oz show, on the Internet
- 1.3 The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Ashville, North Carolina
- 1.4 The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Madame Tusseud's, New York City, New York
- 1.5 The Wizard of Oz play, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
- 1.6 Hollywood Costume exhibit, Doylestown, Pennsylvania
- 1.7 The Wizard of Oz exhibit, St. Paul, Minnesota
- 2 July 2010
- 3 August 2010
- 4 September 2010
- 5 October 2010
- 6 November 2010
- 7 December 2010
- 8 2011
- 8.1 Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz play, London, England
- 8.2 The Wizard of Oz, Costa Mesa, California
- 8.3 Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
- 8.4 Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
- 8.5 Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
- 8.6 Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- 8.7 The Wizard of Oz broadcast, TCM
- 8.8 The International Wizard of Oz Club's National Convention, Banner Elk, North Carolina
- 9 Date Yet To Be Announced
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is it, the biggest thing to hit Oz in years: the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to emeraldcurtain.com/NewYork.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theartre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see wickedthemusical.co.uk or wickedwestend.co.uk. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Dentsu Shiki Theatre, Tokyo, Japan (see wicked.jp for details)
- Orpheum Theater, San Francisco, California (see shnsf.com/shows/wicked, and shnsf.com/shows/wicked/BEC for their own version of Wicked: Behind the Emerald Curtain), through September 5
- Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Sydney, Australia (see wickedthemusical.com.au), through September 12
- Metronom Theater, Oberhausen, Germany (see www.stage-entertainment.de/musicals/wicked-oberhausen/wicked-oberhausen.html)
- Lyric Theatre, Queenslnd Performing Arts Centre, Brisbane, Australia (opens January 2011)
Wicked is also touring North America. For more information and updates about the tour, see wickedthemusical.com/#WickedCitiesOnTour or musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- June 30-July 25, 2010: The Hobby Center, Houston, Texas
- July 14-August 8, 2010: Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- July 28-August 29, 2010: Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio
- August 11-September 19, 2010: Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- September 22-October 10, 2010: Overture Center, Madison, Wisconsin
- October 13-31, 2010: Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, Tennessee
- October 20-November 28, 2010: Canon Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- November 3-14, 2010: Robinson Center, Little Rock, Arkansas
- November 17-28, 2010: Chapman Music Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- December 1-12, 2010: Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- December 1, 2010-January 23, 2011: Cadillac Palace Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
- December 15, 2010-January 1, 2011: Murat Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
- January 5-23, 2011: UA Centennial Concert Hall, Tucson, Arizona
- January 26-February 13, 2011: Popejoy Hall, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- January 26-February 20, 2011: Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, Appleton, Wisconsin
- February 16-March 6, 2011: Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- February 23-March 27, 2011: Carr Performing Arts Centre, Orlando, Florida
- March 9-April 3, 2011: Orange County Performing Arts Center, Costa Mesa, California
- March 30-April 24, 2011: Broward Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- April 6-17, 2011: Saroyan Theatre, Fresno, California
- April 20-May 1, 2011: Hult Center, Eugene, Oregon
- April 27-May 22, 2011: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- May 4-15, 2011: Morrison Center, Boise, Idaho
- May 5-June 12, 2011: Omaha Theatre, Omaha, Nebraska
- May 18-29, 2011: INB Performing Arts Center, Spokane, Washington
- June 15-August 21, 2011: Opera House at the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC
And for the first time, new productions, not based on the Broadway original, have been authorized. So far announced:
- Wicked: Uusi Musikaali Lumotusta Maailmasta, Helsingen Kaupungin Teaterri, Helsinki, Finland, opens August 26, 2010 (tickets)
- Wicked: Heksene Fra Oz, Det Ny Teater, Copenhagen, Denmark, January 13-May 8, 2011 (tickets)
High Drama: Against All Oz show, on the Internet
Now playing: High Drama: Against All Oz, thewb.com. The late television network is reborn as an online broadcaster. Besides many old Warner Bros. shows, they also have a reality series, a behind-the-scenes look at a high school's production of The Wizard of Oz. To see the trailer and watch episodes from the first two season, go to thewb.com/shows/high-drama.
The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Ashville, North Carolina
Now open: The Wizard of Oz exhibit, The Health Adventure, Asheville, North Carolina. The traveling children's museum exhibit has made its way to western North Carolina. Based on the original novel by L. Frank Baum and illustrated by W. W. Denslow, visitors step into the book and follow the yellow brick road through interactive exhibits. For more information, see The Health Adventures' website at thehealthadventure.org.
The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Madame Tusseud's, New York City, New York
Now open: The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, New York City, New York. The world's most famous name in wax now has an Oz exhibit at its Times Square location, including a wax replica of Judy Garland as Dorothy. Plus, later this summer, The Wizard of Oz will become part of their 4-D theater. For more information, see the website at madametussauds.com/NewYork.
The Wizard of Oz play, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Now through August 1, 2010: The Wizard of Oz play, Theatre on Main, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. To celebrate the seventy-first anniversary of the famous movie version's world premiere in Oconomowoc, the town's community theatre is putting on the stage musical version. Shows are Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., and Sundays at 4:00 p.m. Tickets are $14 for adults, and $12 for students and seniors. For more information, see the website at www.theatreonmain.org
Hollywood Costume exhibit, Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Now through September 5, 2010: "Icons of Costume: Hollywood's Golden Era and Beyond" museum exhibit, James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, Pennsylvania. This is an exhibit of Oscar-nominated movie costumes, from the 1940s to the 1990s. As part of the exhibit on Saturdays and Sundays, visitors can appear in scenes from some of their favorute movies, including The Wizard of Oz. (You can even see some of the results on the museum's YouTube channel.) The screen tests cost extra, beyond museum admission. For information, see michenermuseum.org/exhibits/costume.php.
The Wizard of Oz exhibit, St. Paul, Minnesota
Now through September 12, 2010: The Wizard of Oz exhibit, Minnesota Children's Museum, St. Paul, Minnesota. Children (and adults) can learn about science while they travel over the rainbow to Oz. This version is based on the famous movie version. For more information, see mcm.org.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A New Musical reading, New York City, New York
July 18-21, 2010: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A New Musical Reading, Manhattan Theatre Source, New York City, New York. This is a reading of a new musical production, which includes songs by L. Frank Baum and Paul Tietjens from the original 1902 dramatic version of the story. For information about the theater (the show itself isn't up yet), see theatresource.org.
The Winkie Convention, Pacific Grove, California
July 23-25, 2010: The Winkie Convention, Asilomar Conference Center, Pacific Grove, California. Highlights include the auction and sales tables, the costume contest, and the annual Winkie Award. Special presentations will highlight the centennial of The Emerald City of Oz. More information to come, or stay up to date on the event's FaceBook page.
The Wizard of Oz play, Fall City, Washington
July 24-August 29, 2010: The Wizard of Oz, Snoqualmie Falls Forest Theater, Fall City, Washington. See the Royal Shakespeare Company version of the play, based on the famous film version, in an open air forest theater! Performances are Saturdays at 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., and Sundays at 3:00 p.m. A barbecue dinner is available between shows on Saturdays, and after the show on Sundays. For more information and to make reservations (required for the barbecue), call 425-736-7252, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the theater's website at foresttheater.org.
The Wizard of Oz movie, Memphis, Tennessee
July 30, 2010: The Wizard of Oz, Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, Tennessee. A rare chance to see the beloved 1939 film version of the story on the big screen. The show starts at 7:15 p.m., and tickets are $7 for adults and $6 for those twelve and under. For details, see www.orpheum-memphis.com.
The Wizard of Oz film, Lake Placid, New York
August 7, 2010: The Wizard of Oz movie, Palace Theater, Lake Placid, New York. The Adirondack Film Society is sponsoring a screening of the famous 1939 film version of the story. Also on hand will be Bert Lahr's children, John and Jane, and Oz expert and author John Fricke to answer questions. The show starts at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $12 for adults and $8 for kids 12 and under, and will be sold at the door. For more details, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Wizard of Oz marionette show, Altamonte Springs, Florida
September 1-October 13, 2010: The Wizard of Oz musical marionette show, Pinocchio's Marionette Theater, Altamonte Springs, Florida. This is a forty-five minute musical adaptation of L. Frank Baum's novel, performed with beautifully sculptured string puppets and original score. Pinocchio's Marionette Theater, Suite 1389, the Altamonte Mall, 451 E Altamonte Springs Drive, Altamonte Springs, Florida, 32701. Tickets: $5. Reservations 407-834-8757. www.pinocchios.net.
Chesterton Wizard of Oz Festival, Chesterton, Indiana
September 17-19, 2010: Chesterton Wizard of Oz Festival, Chesterton, Indiana. One of the earliest Wizard of Oz festivals, this year Chesterton celebrates its twenty-ninth edition. For more information, see the event's website at www.ozfestivalchesterton.com.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October 2-3, 2010: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. Special guests will be announced soon. Tickets are $20. For more information, check out emeraldmtn.com/LandofOz/oz.htm.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October 2-3, 2010: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they're putting on an Oz festival. Munchkins, authors, and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at oztoberfest.com.
Judy Garland Remembers Dorothy Gale lecture, Rome, New York
October 21-22, 2010: "Judy Garland Remembers Dorothy Gale" lecture, Mohawk Valley Community College Rome Campus, Rome, New York. Presented by Emmy-award winning Oz and Garland historian John Fricke. Everyone knows Judy as Dorothy. But how did Judy feel about the character, movie, and theme song that became inextricably linked with her life and legend? Fricke tells all! Lectures are at 7:00 p.m. both evenings. Admission is free for MVCC students, $2 for staff, and $5 for the general public. For details, see http://calendar.mvcc.edu/EventList.aspx?eventidn=1112&view=EventDetails&information_id=2391 for October 21, and http://calendar.mvcc.edu/EventList.aspx?eventidn=1113&view=EventDetails&information_id=2393 for October 22.
The Wizard of Oz, TBS and TNT cablecasts
November 2010: The Wizard of Oz, TBS and TNT cablecasts. The stations' annual Thanksgiving-season showing of the famous film version. For details, see the dedicated pages for the movie on TBS's and TNT's websites.
The Wizard of Oz touring show, throughout the United States and Canada
Starts November 23, 2010: The Wizard of Oz on Tour. This is a North America-wide tour of The Wizard of Oz on stage, based on the famous movie version. Currently scheduled stops on the tour include:
- November 23-24, 2010: [Warner Theatre], Erie, Pennsylvania
- November 26-28, 2010: [Fox Theatre], St. Louis, Missouri
- November 29, 2010: [Mary Linn Performing Arts Center], Maryville, Missouri
- December 1, 2010: [Memorial Hall], Pueblo, Colorado
- December 2, 2010: [Casper Events Center], Casper, Wyoming
- December 8, 2010: [Alberta Bair Theater], Billings, Montana
- December 14-16, 2010: Conexus Arts Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- December 17-18, 2010: [TCU Place], Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- December 22, 2010: [EnCana Events Centre], Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada
- December 23-26, 2010: [Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium], Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- December 27, 2010-January 2, 2011: [Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium], Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- January 3, 2011: Memorial Arena, Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
- January 4, 2011: [Abbotsford Centre], Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
- January 6-7, 2011: [Mt. Baker Theatre], Bellingham, Washington
- January 8, 2011: [Washington Center for the Performing Arts], Olympia, Washington
- January 9, 2011: [Toyota Center], Kennewick, Washington
- January 11, 2011: [Bismarck Civic Center], Bismarck, North Dakota
- January 12, 2011: [Fargodome], Fargo, North Dakota
- January 15, 2011: [Thunder Bay Community Auditorium], Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- January 18-23, 2011: [The Bushnell], Hartford, Connecticut
- January 25-26, 2011: [Imperial Theatre], St. John's, New Brunswick, Canada
- January 30, 2011: [Proctors], Schenectady, New York
- February 2, 2011: [Pensacola Saenger Theatre], Pensacola, Florida
- February 3-6, 2011: [Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre], Atlanta, Georgia
- February 11-12, 2011: [Rushmore Plaza Civic Center], Rapid City, South Dakota
- February 15-20, 2011: [Civic Theatre], San Diego, California
- February 25, 2011: [Cheyenne Civic Center Performing Arts Theatre], Cheyenne, Wyoming
- February 26, 2011: [Union Colony Civic Center], Greeley, Colorado
- February 28, 2011: [The Orpheum], Sioux City, Iowa
- March 1, 2011: [North Iowa Area Community College Auditorium], Mason City, Iowa
- March 2, 2011: [Coronado Performing Arts Center], Rockford, Illinois
- March 3, 2011: [Genesee Theatre], Waukegan, Illinois
- March 4, 2011: [Kuss Auditorium], Springfield, Ohio
- March 5, 2011: [Macomb Center], Clinton Township, Michigan
- March 6, 2011: [Kent Auditorium], New Philadelphia, Ohio
- March 8, 2011: [The Capitol Theatre], Wheeling, West Virginia
- March 9, 2011: [John Paul Jones Arena], Charlottesville, Virginia
- March 10, 2011: [Paramount Arts Center], Ashland, Kentucky
- March 11-12, 2011: [The Carson Center], Paducah, Kentucky
- March 14, 2011: [Brooks Center for the Performing Arts], Clemson, South Carolina
- March 15-16, 2011: [Grand Opera House], Macon, Georgia
- March 17, 2011: [Youkey Theater, The Lakeland Center], Lakeland, Florida
- March 18, 2011: [Mahaffey Theater], St. Petersburg, Florida
- March 22, 2011: [Roanoke Civic Center], Roanoke, Virginia
- March 23, 2011: Salisbury, Maryland
- March 24, 2011: [Sovereign Center], Reading, Pennsylvania
- March 25-26, 2011: [Landmark Theater], Richmond, Virginia
- March 27, 2011: [Ferguson Center for the Arts], Newport News, Virginia
- March 28-29, 2011: [Garde Arts Center], New London, Connecticut
- March 30, 2011: [Flynn Center], Burlington, Vermont
- April 1-2, 2011: [Rose Theatre], Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Other dates are sure to be added later. For more information about the show, see the website at [wizardofozontour.com].
WiZaRD: The Musical, New York City, New York
December, 2010: WiZaRD: The Musical, Jazz at Lincoln Center, New York City, New York. This show, set at fictional radio station WZRD, looks at the career and music of Harold Arlen, including his work on The Wizard of Oz. For information about the show — or the current nationwide auditions for a young singer to play Dorothy — see the website at http://wizardthemusical.com/index.php.
The Wizard of Oz, TNT cablecasts
December 2010: The Wizard of Oz, TNT cablecast. The station's annual Christmas-season showing of the famous film version. For details, see the dedicated pages for the movie on TNT's website.
The Wizard of Oz Musical, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
December 1-19, 2010: The Wizard of Oz musical, Civic Light Opera, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This original musical staging of The Wizard of Oz, first presented in 2000, is revived for the holiday season. For information and to get tickets, see the show's website at civiclightoperacompany.com/oz_2010.html.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz play, London, England
Opening March 29, 2011: The Wizard of Oz, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. Now that Danielle Hope has won the role of Dorothy through the television show Over the Rainbow, Andrew Lloyd Webber has to put on his show. It will debut in the West End on March 29. News and information is available on Webber's website, at andrewlloydwebber.com/shows/the-wizard-of-oz, and tickets are already on sale.
The Wizard of Oz, Costa Mesa, California
April 7-9, 2011: The Wizard of Oz, Orange County Performing Arts Center, Cost Mesa, California. This is a brand new listing with few details, so I'm not sure what this is. The Pacific Symphony is listed, however, so perhaps this is a showing of the movie with a symphony performing the music. For details, keep an eye on www.ocpac.org.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May, 2011: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May, 2011: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. Another town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June 2011: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). For more information, see the festival's website at oz-stravaganza.com, or the town's website at www.chittenango.org.
Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June 2011: Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town throws its annual party in her honor. For more information, check out the website at judygarlandmuseum.com.
The Wizard of Oz broadcast, TCM
July, 2011: The Wizard of Oz, national cablecast, Turner Classic Movies. They always seem to show it around Independence Day. The movie has its own dedicated page at www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=852&category=overview, so keep an eye on it for updates.
The International Wizard of Oz Club's National Convention, Banner Elk, North Carolina
August 5-7, 2011: The International Wizard of Oz Club's National Oz Convention, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Oz Club brings its annual convention to the site of the Wizard of Oz theme park of the 1970s, where many of the attractions still stand. Alongside its usual activities, former park employees are expected to talk about their time there. Details coming when they're available.
Date Yet To Be Announced
Wizard of Oz Festival, Woodridge, Illinois
Annual Wizard of Oz Festival, Hollywould Boulevard Cinema, Woodridge, Illinois. The cinema's annual showing of The Wizard of Oz, which is usually a big event with special guests. Keep an eye on www.atriptothemovies.com for announcements and details.
The Wizard of Oz On Tour
The Wizard of Oz on Tour. It's currently on its summer break, but this touring version of The Wizard of Oz has played many dates and venues throughout the United States and Canada. For details, see thewizardofozontour.com.