Difference between revisions of "OzWiki:Current events"
(→Oz Comes to Kansas, Bonner Springs, Kansas)
(→Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas)
|Line 175:||Line 175:|
===Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas===
===Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas===
'''October , 2018: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas.''' The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Revision as of 09:05, 1 July 2018
Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
- 1.3 The Wizard of Oz North American tour
- 1.4 Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
- 1.5 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.6 Emerald City television series, NBC.com
- 1.7 Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
- 1.8 Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
- 2 August 2018
- 3 September 2018
- 4 October 2018
- 5 November/December 2018
- 6 April 2019
- 7 May 2019
- 8 June 2019
- 9 December 2019
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following productions:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to https://wickedthemusical.com/behind-the-emerald-curtain#scrolldown for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/.
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news. The show is now being performed by amateur theatrical groups around the country, so check for local productions.
- A revival of the Japanese production wrapped up its run in Sapporo. See https://www.shiki.jp/applause/wicked/ for information about Wicked in Japan (site is in Japanese).
- The recent UK tour went abroad, but is now back in the British Isles:
- Now through July 7, 2018: Leeds Grand Theatre, Leeds, England
- July 17-August 26, 2018: Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
- September 6-29, 2018: Sunderland Empire, Sunderland, England
- October 3-27, 2018: Mayflower Theatre Southampton, Southampton, England
- October 31-November 24, 2018: Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff, Wales
- December 4, 2018-January 5, 2019: Palace Theatre Manchester, Manchester, England
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through August 5, 2018: Ed Mirvish Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- August 7-September 2, 2018: Detroit Opera House, Detroit, Michigan
- September 5-23, 2018: Tulsa Performing Arts Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- September 26-October 14, 2018: Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- October 17-28, 2018: Popejoy Hall, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- October 31-November 25, 2018: Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- November 28, 2018-January 27, 2019: Hollywood Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- January 30-March 3, 2019: Eccles Theater, Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 6-17, 2019: Morrison Center, Boise, Idaho
- March 20-31, 2019: Saroyan Theatre, Fresno, California
- April 3-May 5, 2019: ASU Gammage, Tempe, Arizona
- May 8-June 9, 2019: Buell Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- June 12-July 7, 2019: Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington
- July 10-28, 2019: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- July 31-August 11, 2019: Hult Center, Eugene, Oregon
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, Australian tour
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz Australian tour. Lord Webber's new production, expanded from the version of the story first seen in the famous movie version, goes Down Under. The following stops have been announced:
- Now through July 29, 2018: Regent Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
For more information about the tour, and to book tickets, see the show's website at https://www.wizardofozthemusical.com/.
The Wizard of Oz North American tour
The Wizard of Oz North American tour. This touring production of the musical, based on The Movie, is now traveling around the United States and Canada. The following stops have been announced:
- Now through August 4, 2018: Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- October 6, 2018: Alma Performing Arts Center, Alma, Arkansas
- October 9, 2018: Bicknell Family Center for the Arts, Pittsburg, Kansas
- October 11, 2018: Letourneau University Belcher Center, Longview, Texas
- October 12-13, 2018: Eismann Center, Richardson, Texas
- October 14, 2018: Lutcher Theater, Orange, Texas
- October 16-17, 2018: Rivercenter for the Performing Arts, Columbus, Georgia
- October 18, 2018: Oxford Performing Arts Center, Oxford, Alabama
- October 19-20, 2018: Tivoli Theatre, Chattanooga, Tennessee
- October 21, 2018: Ford Center for the Performing Arts, Oxford, Mississippi
- October 23-25, 2018: Mead Theater, Dayton, Ohio
- October 26, 2018: The Norton Center, Danville, Kentucky
- October 27, 2018: Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Lima, Ohio
- October 28, 2018: Creative Arts Center, Morgantown, West Virginia
- October 29, 2018: Verne Riffe Center for the Arts, Portsmouth, Ohio
- October 31-November 1, 2018: Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, New Jersey
- November 2-3, 2018: Mayo Performing Arts Center, Morristown, New Jersey
- November 4, 2018: Forum Theatre, Binghamton, New York
- November 6, 2018: Strand Theatre, York, Pennsylvania
- November 8-11, 2018: The Hanover Theatre, Worcester, Massachusetts
- December 7-8, 2018: Knight Center, Miami, Florida
- December 9, 2018: Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, Florida
- December 10, 2018: Peabody Auditorium, Daytona Beach, Florida
- December 12, 2018: Saenger Theatre, Pensacola, Florida
- December 14-16, 2018: Altria Theater, Richmond, Virginia
- December 27-30, 2018: Shubert Theatre, New Haven, Connecticut
- January 15, 2019: Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, Tacoma, Washington
- January 16, 2019: The Washington Center, Olympia, Washington
- January 17, 2019: Craterian Theater at the Collier Center, Medford, Oregon
- January 18-20, 2019: Harris Center for the Arts, Folsom, California
- January 22-23, 2019: Gallo Center for the Performing Arts, Modesto, California
- January 25-27, 2019: McCallum Theatre for the Performing Arts, Palm Desert, California
- January 28, 2019: Rabobank Theater, Bakersfield, California
- January 30, 2019: Casper Events Center, Casper, Wyoming
- January 31, 2019: Idaho Falls Civic Auditorium, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- February 1, 2019: Adams Center Fieldhouse, Missoula, Montana
- February 7, 2019: Riverpark Center, Owensboro, Kentucky
- February 8-10, 2019: Tennessee Performing Arts Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- February 11, 2019: Mattie Kelly Arts Center, Niceville, Florida
- February 12-13, 2019: Saegner Theatre, New Orleans, Louisiana
- February 15-17, 2019: Chrysler Hall, Norfolk, Virginia
- February 18, 2019: Koger Center, Columbia, South Carolina
- February 23-24, 2018: Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, Houston, Texas
- February 26, 2019: Bologna Performing Arts Center, Cleveland, Mississippi
- February 28, 2019: Coronado Theater, Rockford, Illinois
- March 3, 2019: Embassy Theater, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- March 12, 2019: Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, San Antonio, Texas
- March 15-17, 2019: Pioneer Center, Reno, Nevada
For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://wizardofoztour.com/.
Ozmafia anime series, on the Internet
Now playing: Ozmafia anime series, crunchyroll.com. In this Japanese anime series (based on the video game of the same name), Scarlet is a new transfer student at Oz Academy. He doesn't get off to a good start, but the teachers seem nice enough. But what strange secrets are hiding at Oz Academy, and why are they at war with the other academies? Episodes (in Japanese, with English subtitles) are available to view online at http://www.crunchyroll.com/ozmafia for free.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Emerald City television series, NBC.com
Emerald City television series, NBC national broadcast. The latest Oz TV project has gone through its broadcast run on NBC. But the show's website is still up at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city. You can still watch episodes online at http://www.nbc.com/emerald-city/episodes.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Internet Streaming
Lost in Oz series, Internet streaming
The Wizard of Oz play, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Oz Comes to Kansas, Bonner Springs, Kansas
August 2-5, 2018: Oz Comes to Kansas, National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame, Bonner Springs, Kansas. Come visit a recreated 1903 farm, visit Dorothy and her family, enjoy an Oz puppet show, and other events at this event. For more information, including a link to buy tickets, see the event's website at http://www.aghalloffame.com/oz-comes-to-kansas/.
OzCon International, Pomona, Californiahttp://www.ozconinternational.com/ for details.
Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August 11, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois. The annual celebration of Oz in this Illinois town. For more infarmation, see the event's website at http://www.hollispark.org/oz-fest, and Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfest/.
Wizard of Oz Days, New London, Missouri
August 25-26, 2018: Wizard of Oz Days Festival, New London City Park, New London, Missouri. The community throws a party celebrating Oz. For more information, see the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/294113420996061/, and also https://www.facebook.com/newlondonozdays/.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
September 7-9, 2018: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/autumnatoz.
Midwest Oz Fest 2018, Tinley Park, Illinois
September 22-23, 2018: Midwest Oz Fest 2018, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on the Facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/156284901679198/.
Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio
September 28-30, 2018: Wizard of Oz Festival Ohio, Macedonia, Ohio. The second year for this event in Ohio. For more information, see the website at https://wizardofozohio.com/, and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/wizardofozfestivalohio/.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
October 6, 2018: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October (exact date to be announced), 2018: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the city's events page and the city's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates).
Wizard of Oz ballet, Kansas City, Missouri
October 12-21, 2018: The Wizard of Oz ballet, Kansas City Ballet, Kansas City, Missouri. This world premiere ballet, based on the first Oz book, opens Kansas City Ballet's 2018-19 season, and is presented in conjunction with the Colorado Ballet and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. Details are available in this article. Keep an eye on the company's website for more information, including when tickets go on sale.
The Return of the Ruby Slippers, Washington, DC
October 19, 2018: The Return of the Ruby Slippers, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC. Last seen by the public in 2017, the Smithsonian's pair of Ruby Slippers used in The Wizard of Oz have been behind-the-scenes being researched and restored, following a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised nearly $350,000. Work continues, but they will be back on display on October 19, 2018, in a temporary display while the rest of the museum undergoes renovation for a 2020 reopening. For more information, see the museum's press release at http://americanhistory.si.edu/press/releases/ruby-slippers-return.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Keep checking back for details throughout the season.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April (date to be announced), 2019: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
May (exact date to be announced), 2019: The Oz Run, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. This annual 5K and half-marathon run raises money for local charities while the participants dress in Oz costumes as they make their ways to the Emerald City at the end. For more information, or to sign up, go to http://www.theozrun.com/. And if you want to find out a little more, including video of the 2016 run, see http://www.weau.com/content/misc/Oz-Run---Dec-19th-407438355.html.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town holds an annual Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia. Local news coverage can be read at http://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20180531/wizard-of-oz-festival-returns-to-ionia.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June (exact dates to be announced), 2019: Wizard of Oz Festival, Judy Garland Museum and environs, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy Garland's home town celebrates her most famous role in this annual festival, with events all over town spread out over three days. For more information, keep an eye on the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/ for more information.
December 20, 2019: Wicked movie, theaters around the world. At long last, Universal has announced a release date for the film adaptation of the Tony-winning musical. No cast has been announced yet, but the director will be Stephen Daldry, Marc Platt (one of the show's producers on Broadway) will be a producer, and Winnie Holzman (book) and Stephen Schwartz (composer) will be reproducing their tasks from Broadway. Stay tuned for more details as they become available, including casting!